What is a Salkantay Tour like?
Imagine being surrounded by majestic mountains, breathing fresh air and exploring dreamlike natural landscapes. All this and more is what awaits you on a Salkantay Tour. In this article, we will take you by the hand through this exciting adventure in the Peruvian Andes, where you will discover what makes this tour so special and why it should be on your bucket list.
The Salkantay Trek: A Journey into the grandeur of the Andes
The Salkantay Tour is an unparalleled experience that immerses you in the natural beauty and rich history of the Peruvian Andes. During this journey, you will travel a fascinating route that will take you from the imposing snow-capped mountain of Salkantay to the iconic sanctuary of Machu Picchu. Along the way, you will marvel at breathtaking panoramas, lush vegetation and a deep connection with the local culture.
An unforgettable itinerary on your Salkantay Tour
Each Salkantay Tour may have variations in its itinerary, but here is an overview of what to expect on this exciting adventure:
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Soraypampa
Start your journey from Cusco and head towards Mollepata, where you will begin your hike to Soraypampa. Enjoy the panoramic views of the valley and camp in Soraypampa, surrounded by majestic mountains.
Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Chaullay
On this challenging day, you will cross the Salkantay Pass, at an altitude of approximately 4,600 meters above sea level. Marvel at the spectacular views and then descend to Chaullay, where you will spend the night.
Day 3: Chaullay – Sahuayaco Beach – Santa Teresa
Continue your adventure down the valley into the cloud forest zone. You will pass by Sahuayaco Beach and finally arrive in Santa Teresa, where you will relax and rest.
Day 4: Santa Teresa – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
On this day, you will walk to the hydroelectric plant, where you will enjoy lunch. Then, you will continue your hike until you reach Aguas Calientes, the town near Machu Picchu.
Day 5: Machu Picchu – Cusco
Finally, the most awaited day arrives. Early in the morning, you will board a bus that will take you to the lost city of Machu Picchu. Here, you will explore the Inca ruins and marvel at the grandeur of this historic site. After the visit, you will return to Cusco to complete your tour.
Why choose a Salkantay Tour?
There are numerous reasons why a Salkantay Tour is an exceptional choice for nature lovers and adventurers:
- Unparalleled natural beauty: The Salkantay route allows you to experience breathtaking scenery, from snow-capped mountains to lush valleys and awe-inspiring waterfalls.
- Less crowded than the traditional Inca Trail: While the Inca Trail is famous, the Salkantay Tour offers a less traveled alternative, giving you a more intimate and authentic experience in nature.
- Challenge and self-improvement: The hike to the Salkantay pass is challenging, but every step is worth it. You will feel great satisfaction when you reach the summit and overcome your own limits.
- Connection with the local culture: Along the way, you will have the opportunity to interact with the local communities, learn about their way of life and immerse yourself in their rich culture.
Tips for an unforgettable Salkantay Tour
Here are some practical tips to make sure your Salkantay Tour is an unforgettable experience:
- Be physically prepared: The Salkantay Tour requires a good level of physical fitness. Exercise and hike beforehand to adequately prepare yourself.
- Pack smart: Make sure you pack appropriate clothing for the weather, comfortable shoes, a light backpack and other essentials such as sunscreen, insect repellent and a flashlight.
- Stay hydrated and get enough rest: During the trek, it is important to stay hydrated and get enough rest to recover energy.
- Respect the environment and local culture: Help preserve the natural beauty of the area and respect the traditions and customs of the local communities you encounter along the way.
Turn your dream into reality with a Salkantay Tour
If you have always dreamed of exploring the magnificent landscapes of the Peruvian Andes, a Salkantay Tour is the perfect opportunity to make it come true. Live a unique experience, challenge your limits and create unforgettable memories in this incomparable adventure.
5 Days FROM US$ 792
Type of Trip: Trekking
Group size: Maximo 15 people
Sites visited: Cusco, Soraypampa, Humantay Lagoon, Salkantay Pampa, Pampa Japonesa, Paso Del Condor, Inca Canal, Paucarcancha, Llaqtapata , Ollantaytambo, Sun Gate, Machu PicchuSee Itinerary